Debs

This has been a tough weekend, no doubt about it. Seeing my cousin was all at once wonderful, but the circumstances makes it tough. Hands down, probably one of the toughest.

My dear cousin, the one fighting cancer, is fighting the good fight, but she's tired. The fight is almost over for her, and part of me is glad...a very small part. The other, larger part of me wants to see her miraculously healed, jumping up and suggesting we go shopping, or to Tombstone, or horseback riding, but the whole of me is in actuality, a realist. I want to believe that will happen, but the reality of it is, she's winding down. She's ready for the pain to be over. She's ready to hang up her gloves...and I'm sad.

I've also seen a side of my Cousin-in-Law that makes me glad that she chose him, almost 38 years ago, to be her husband. I mentioned before, I was in her wedding, met him then. Thought he was a bit...over the top maybe. But she loved him with a fierce love, and that love has endured.

I watched him yesterday, or it could have been today...it has all blended these last three days, as he tenderly took care of her needs. Things that once she could do for herself, but now can't. He said something about the vows they took back in '79, and my heart did two things at once. Rejoiced at the love and tenderness this man shows his wife, even now as she is engaged in the battle of her life, and at the same time, it broke in two as he tended to her, ever so gently. That is a love that endures even time itself, and I am so glad that she found it, that they found it together.

Her children have rallied around her, helping their Father with their Mom, even with the tasks that are not pleasant. Her Mother is there as are her Grandsons...each contributing in their own way. But she's tired and just wants to sleep.

Debs...I know you're tired. You've fought hard, and the pain sucks, but the love of your life is there, your children, grandchildren and Mom are all there. My Mom and Dad are right next door and I'm a phone call away. Call when you have a need...call any one of us, we'll answer.

I have to go home in the morning, its going to be a long flight for me, even though it will only be a bit over two and a half hours long. I wish I could have stayed longer, but its not possible. I am so very glad that I made you laugh, even made you a little annoyed with me. It shows you still have some fight in you. Fight that good fight if you can, I'll understand if you can't. Just remember that last summer we spent together as kids. A lot of fun stuff happened then. Remember throwing the remote at me yesterday when I asked if you ate, and remember that you have always been like a sister to me. Always have, and always will.

I love you to the moon and back, Hon.

Comments

  1. Bless you all and thank you Lord for your forgiveness and your Son who made it possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Urgent Plea for Help

Jesus wept.