The bully pulpit

I had the unfortunate experience of being on the butt-end of one of those this last weekend. My youngest daughter was involved in a conversation in a forum about the transgender in the military issue, and came against a young man who, let's just say, was not gentle with his words. This is America, he has a right to his opinion, as foul as those words might be to others. **shrug**

My youngest daughter, bless her heart, also is very opinionated and commented on his attitude and the hopes that he doesn't pass it on to his progeny. Apparently this young man didn't like her come back and went digging on her Facebook page to find "dirt." The dirt he found was a picture of my Mouse from last Christmas, and put in text that reflected his opinion on those who have Special Needs. This is where I became involved.

Regardless of whether or not the initial post was private, the fact that it involved Mouse made it very relevant to me. No one, and I mean no one, will use my Mouse, or anyone who has special needs in any way, without their permission (not that many would give it anyway), to bully someone else. That is foul, and low and without excuse. It is cowardly, in my opinion.

I did confront the young man, publicly and privately, to which I did receive a reply. An apology privately for using her picture, but nothing, not a word about the bullying Mouse received, whether or not she knew about it. Nothing about calling my youngest some foul names (in the message that I received), and an adamant refusal to publicly apologise to Mouse, if nothing else.

Yes, I'm deeply upset. No, I'm not going to do anything more about it. Its history as far as I'm concerned. The reason I'm writing this is because I want all of us (myself included), to remember how our words can affect others, directly or indirectly. My youngest can defend herself quite well, she has an extensive vocabulary, and language skills that I shake my head over. She doesn't allow herself to be run over. Mouse on the other hand will simply melt at being called a name. She can't fathom how anyone could be mean to her, and quite frankly, neither can I. That said, our words are a double-edged sword...they can cut and divide, or they can be words of encouragement and healing.

In the Bible, James says that the tongue is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. This last weekend, and that particular post proves that. Shoot, I'm proof of that, you're proof of that...we all are. How different this world would be if we could just bridle that tongue of ours and used it for encouragement, and not for destruction.

I guess my point here is this: Don't bully. It isn't worth the heartache it causes. It isn't worth the repercussion that is received because of it. Have an opinion, by all means, but don't bully over it. Voice your opinion, that is your right as an American, don't threaten others because of their opinion, which is just as much their right as it is yours. Calling others names does nothing but make you feel better at another person's expense. Consider your words. Think before you speak.

I will leave you with what I left for him:

May God bless you as you bless others, and may He have mercy on you as you have mercy on others.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.