Perfection


A thought occurred to me just recently. I will never be perfect. I will never think, act, speak, worship, vote, drive, work, or do anything perfectly...and I'm okay with that. And you should be, too.

Why?

I'll tell you.

Because you aren't perfect. You can modify your body, your mind, your learning all you want to, it will never be perfect, because you aren't made to be perfect. We all fall way short of perfection. It's just not attainable.

I recently read about a young man who wanted to be what a certain doll maker considers perfection. He is modifying his body to make him look more like Ken. As it happens, he met the woman who modified her body to look like Barbie, and came away disgusted. Go figure.

Other people use plastic surgery, liposuction, enhancements, dye, permanent ink, all in the name of their brand of perfection. What they believe to be perfect is not so much in another person's opinion.
Our little girls are bombarded with pictures and ideas of how to have the perfect hair, nails, make-up and clothes. They are told what standards they are to hold to, perfection being a nearly unattainable goal. They starve themselves, purge themselves, modify, cut, do anything to stay on their path of perfection. Our little boys strive to be the perfect pitcher, hitter, full-back, quarterback, but the pressure to be perfect isn't as strenuous, not as grievous as it is for our girls.

What about learning? Our kids bust their hineys to get straight A's...their goal? Scholarships to the perfect college or university. The goal of perfection is always in their sites.

What about us as parents and grandparents? We try to be everything to our child. A parent, a protector, a chauffeur, a coach/den leader/ troop leader, a volunteer at school, as well as trying to make a living, keeping a roof over their heads, food in their stomachs, and tech in their hands.
At work, we try to be the perfect employee. At home, the perfect spouse. The perfect sibling. The perfect adult child.

Do you see anything wrong with this? I do.

I was not a perfect employee. When I worked, I was late...not a lot, but there were times. I called in sick when my kids were sick. My attendance suffered, as did my yearly reviews and my attitude. I still did well with my customers, but often spouted off at coworkers or bosses when I shouldn't have.

I am not a perfect parent. There are times when I want to distance myself from my Mouse. And I feel awful when I do. She is with me 24/7, and when I need that time away, the look on her face when I say she can't come along beats on me. But if I can't separate myself from my child on occasion, I do her no good. I would do her a disservice if I was tired and crabby from whatever is going on. An hour or so a week is enough for me to recenter myself so that I can be my best for her.
I often gripe at my Youngest for her choices in her adult life.
I certainly am not the most perfect parent on the planet.

I am not a perfect daughter or sibling. More times than not, I've annoyed or upset my little Brother by something I've said or done, oftentimes in jest, but they have hurt him to the bone more than once. I've disappointed my parents by my choices in my teens and early adulthood. I've yelled at my Dad (only once), and instantly felt like the worst person on earth. While he forgave my outburst (circumstances were pretty hairy at the time), I still have a hard time forgiving myself.

I am far from being the perfect spouse. Times you will find me mumbling about something, shaking my head, or being miffed about something. Not often, mind you, but the instances are there...and trust me, God is probably keeping count, noting more times than I have, no doubt. I suspect He'll run out of paper soon at this rate. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely am in love with my Husband. I would give both kidneys if he needed them. But sometimes, especially when the fibro flares, I have zero sense of humor, and he has sort of a dry sense of humor at times.

I do not have the perfect body, face or hair. And I'm mostly okay with that...although I could stand to lose a pound or ten here and there.

Now for the reason why I'm telling you this. I will never be perfect...ever. Not in this life, at least. After all, I am human, and subject to all of the issues of the environment, pharma, and products of my own doing. I will have scars, stretchmarks, and cellulite. I will have grey hair, and it will be curly and out of control during humid weather. I will have aches and pains that go along with all of the above and age combined, and again...I'm okay with that. I'm okay with it because when I pass from this life to Eternal Life, I will be raised, not in corruption, which is this life, but in perfection, no spot or blemish to be found. My body will be perfect, as God designed it. My mind will be in perfect harmony with Him. My actions will be in perfect line with His will. This life has a habit of throwing curve balls, slings, arrows, lawn darts...There will be snide remarks, judgmental looks or sneers, abject rejection. We will lose pets, children, parents, loved and cherished family and friends. We will find loss in different ways...none of it is perfect because this sin-soaked world is imperfect at its core.

In prayer and supplication, through seeking the will of God, we can walk with Him. In keeping His commandments and serving others, not for our own gain or good feelings, but in Jesus' name and His glory, we can strive to be more like Him. Will we be perfect? Nope. Never. Not in a million years, but we will know, if we are saved and walk in His will and ways, that one day, we will be perfect, and will live in a perfect world with Jesus, for all of Eternity.

As we begin this week, whether you have a new work-week in front of you, or you're a stay at home parent, or retired, or whatever it is you do, take the time to ask God to go before you. To take from your path anything that is meant for harm or for evil. To guard your heart, your mind and your mouth, that you might not sin against Him. That He would direct your steps and the Holy Spirit would guide you throughout each and every day. Thank Him daily for His provision, His mercy and His grace. Throughout the day, stop and pray (or walk and pray, drive and pray...in both instances with your eyes open, please. 😉  ). If you see a need, try to fill that need. Smile at someone, even if you don't know them. Hold the door open for another person. Let the person with two items go in front of you in the grocery line. Pay it forward.

Be blessed everyone, and remember...Nobody's perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.