You know...

There are few things on Earth more satisfying than being a parent, or a grandparent, except being a wife. I am beyond blessed with my two children, my "adopted" girl, my son-in-law and my grandchildren and my wonderful husband. My parents, brother and sister-in-law and Mother-in-Law top that list as well...family and friends...well, you get my point. But that isn't the reason I'm blogging today.

I find myself facing my inner Eeyore today. I look at the headlines, the ones about the guillotines and believe with all my heart that should be the standard for the death penalty. Quick and precise, no surprise when the person opens their eyes and talks to you. I would faint if someone did that after being beheaded.

I look at our economy here in the US. What once was the Country to go to have prosperity is now bounced down on the food chain. We could sit here all day and blame the Presidents through the years, but bottom line is the American People let it happen. We've been complacent. We've been lazy. We've had our lives enhanced by all of the modern miracles and have succumbed to the desensitization out there that we've forgotten what its like to do an honest days work for an honest wage. I won't even go into what I think of politicians. You want my opinion on that one, read The Father's Footsteps...it's available on amazon.com. The ending should tell you a little something about my mindset on politics.

We've raised a generation of couch potatoes who would probably cringe at being told to go outside and play until dinner. With the video games, MP3's, non-stop movie channels and computers, who wants to go outside with all of the dirt, bugs and what-not? Long gone are the days when we would ride our bikes from after breakfast until dinner time. Long gone are the times when we would play tag, hide and seek, Red Rover, Mother May I or even a game of softball in the vacant lot (and hope you didn't hit anyone's house with the ball).

I look at our military personnel, who are being treated like third class citizens. These are the men and women who fight for our freedom, who have fought for our freedom since this Country was established. It used to be an honor for our military to fight and come home, wounded or not and folks would welcome them home with ticker-tape parades. Not so much anymore. Now they come home and the government slashes their severance pay, they slash any benefits that they thought they might have, because it was written in the contract they signed when they enlisted. Even if they were drafted, they still had benefits that at least showed them that they were appreciated. Since Korea at the earliest, it is my belief that the military has been shoved under the bus more than once and the benefits for these men and women putting their lives on hold at best, giving their lives at worst has dwindled until it is an embarrassment. Shame on us for allowing their benefits to be cut. They should have more benefits than the people in Washington, in my opinion. At least they're fighting for our freedom unlike the pencil pushers out in D.C. who would turn tail and run at the hint of an altercation.

Am I cranky about my beloved Country? You bet I am. Am I ashamed of my Country...mostly no, but I am ashamed of our behavior...no, make that angry. I am angry that we have allowed a man who has no regard for the position he holds to hold that seat for another term. I am angry that we didn't remove from office a man who was impeached. I am angry that we didn't hold previous Administrations to their words when they were elected to office.
I am angry that children in our own backyard are going hungry, haven't got decent shelters or even a parent who is responsible enough to take care of them. I am angry at the people who live for their welfare checks and have no intention of going out and working for a living. I am angry at a Government who believes the people are their minions and are clueless as to the fact that we hired them in the first place. I'm angry that I haven't been angry enough to do something before now.

I know, I'm one person...what can I do? Make some noise. Write some letters. Get proactive in my community. Get off my butt and do something. Go outside and enjoy the weather. Fish, swim, whatever. Love on my grandchildren, my children, my parents (and Mom-in-law), my brother and his wife. Be an exceptional wife. Be an exceptional Mom and Mom-in-Law. Be an exceptional author. Be an exceptional Christian.

That's what one person can do, and I intend to start today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.