I always thought I would have a dull life...

Trust me, I didn't disappoint myself!

I mean, seriously...when one has eight cats, four, sometimes five dogs, two toddlers/preschoolers and the Mouse in the house at one time, well, life isn't dull.

Case in point. Sunday.

A bit of background first. My house is over forty years old. Its wiring has little to be desired. There has been more than one occasion that I've had issues with the outlets, not to mention sometimes the kitchen light. That, however is for another blog and another day. Needless to say, I've begun to think this house has a mind of its own and doesn't like me.

That brings me to Sunday. I turn off my ringer for church. Always. Which means that anytime someone calls I usually don't get it until after church ends. Well, I've begun to take my Kindle to church because there's an app that allows me to make notes with the sermon. If you haven't seen this app, check it out, its called YouVersion and has the option to find a live sermon. So. I set up a mobile tether to my Kindle so that I can get the live version of our Pastor's sermon. Sunday I was about to set up my tether when I see that my Hubby called. This doesn't happen, so I left the sermon to call.

I went out to the foyer and tried calling back. No answer. Gut tightens. Call the house phone, gut tightens more...goes to the answering machine. "Hello? Hello? Hello?" finally an answer. The outlet where the computer is has sparked. Yay. Well at least the house didn't burn down.

Problem is, I smelled plastic when I got up that morning, but figured something plastic fell on the heating element in the dishwasher, it was that kind of smell and I dismissed it.

When I got home, I turned off the power to the house and tried to get the surge protector out of the outlet. No good, it was fused to the housing of the outlet. I ended up pulling too hard and pulled the outlet apart. So, I cut the cord to the plug, inspect the surge protector, which is totally fried as well, unplug the computer which is thankfully unharmed and tape up the exposed wires. Out comes the duct tape and I tape that up as well, because, well, sometimes my cats are stupid and fried cat couldn't possibly smell good.

Head back out and turn the power back on, go to check the tape on the wall, push on the outlet and Oops! Flames shoot up the wall! Blow those pups out, turn the power back off and call an electrician. They can't get out until Monday (seriously...what was I thinking?? LOL!) but they tell me to call the fire department because there was a fire. Now comes the good part.

No sooner do I hang up with 911 when a huge rig pulls up to my driveway and six...count 'em, six taller than my house firemen hop out, one of them in a mask. A small snort pops out of my mouth as I get a mental picture of the many commercials and memes with firemen, as Hubby and Mouse scramble to contain the dogs. The cats? They usually scatter and I don't generally worry about them.

Blushing pretty heavily, I open the door and all but one of these guys bend their heads to walk in. One of the cats, Snickers, gets this look like "oh....@&^%$!", growls, fluffs to five time her size (which is pretty big in the first place) and backs into and up the Christmas tree. Ornaments rain down and I lose at least two of the bulbs. Next thing I see is a black and white streak hauling hiney out of the room.

 The guy with the mask (who still has it on)and the rest of them check the walls, outlets and attic for hot spots, then the guy in charge tells him he can take his mask off. Me, always the mouth says "unless you're allergic to cats." He smiles, says he isn't allergic to anything and takes the mask off. One of the other cats cautiously peeks around the corner, sees the guy remove the mask and a grey streak flashes by. I have to shake my head, these cats are something. It took me over a half an hour after they firemen left to get a head count, two of my furbies hid under the couch (how the heck did those chubs get under there??).

I get that this is may be only slightly funny and perhaps just a bit too much of a look into my house, but I had to get it out. My life is never dull. If the two Master Minds aren't being sillies, the animals are doing their best to practice for Barnum and Bailey. I have dogs chasing cats, cats chasing dogs and on at least two occasions, cats chasing kids, only once did the kiddo have a string, but both times play was involved.

I have to wonder at this point...what is 2015 going to bring! ;)

Happy New Year, folks! May it never be dull and may the smiles be abundant!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Urgent Plea for Help

Jesus wept.