Hello 2017!

Well, to say that 2017 started on a rather odd note is an understatement. Started out almost normal...after less than my usual six hours of sleep (thank you fireworks over-achievers, lol!), Mouse and I were out the door a bit earlier than normal for Church. As we were leaving the neighborhood, something caught my eye. I looked again to make sure what I saw is what I really saw. Yup! A pair of guys drawers draped over a mailbox. Not sure if that makes it a good start or a bad start to the new year, but it did make an interesting start to it!

The day has been relatively uneventful, except.

On the way to pick Mouse up from her class after the services, a lady stopped me and introduced herself. We talked for a few minutes and I shared with her that Mouse is the young lady greeting for first hour every Sunday. She asked if I knew another mom whose daughter has Downs and I mentioned that I did, but I think that Little was in the younger class. She asked how old my daughter was, and I told her that the 15th will be her 34th birthday.

Her eyes teared a bit and told me that I didn't look old enough for a 34 year old, then told me about her niece who has a little one with Down Syndrome. She shared that she is unsure of her child's future. There seemed to be an indication that her niece was concerned that her little one would never be able to do much. She asked if I had any advice for her.

I truly believe this was a Divine appointment.

I told this lovely lady that she should tell her niece that her baby can do anything they want to do. The sky is the limit. There is absolutely nothing that is off limits for these kids anymore. They can go to school. learn, achieve. I told her about the doctor who suggested we put Mouse away and forget about her, that we were young and could have more children, and that we, my former husband and I, chose to bring her up doing the things that anyone else could do (within medical reason, of course). We talked for a bit longer and then I went to get Mouse.

The thing is, Downs Kids can do anything. They can be actors. They can be models. They can be athletes. They can be entrepreneurs. They can marry and have a life with the love of their life. They cook. They sew, They can knit and crochet and quilt. They can paint and sing and dance. The sky is the limit. The only boundry (other than medically), is themselves or a parent  who is not aware that these options are available to them, too.

Mouse, well, she's Mouse. She has aspirations to live in the White House and turn it pink. Her dream might be a bit out of reach for her, especially since she would probably put Putin into time-out or ground the Congressmen/women and Senators for not doing their "chores." She still sings, she dances in the foyer at church and is a pretty doggoned good colorist. That's what she wants to do, physically and mentally, that's what she can do as she was not able to advance cognitively past 6 years old. But she is a blessing. A blessing to me, my family and to those who know her. Those who meet her for the first time at church usually get handed a bulletin and (she's been coached) a handshake. Some of the time, the coaching goes out the window and they get bear hugs. That's Mouse, and that's what she does.

So, what will 2017 hold for us? Dunno. What I do know is hopefully there's a Mom out there who is a little less anxious about their baby. Hopefully someone with a frown on their face walked into church this morning and got a bear hug from Mouse, effectively turning the frown upside-down. If that happened, then I think we've got a pretty fantastic start to 2017.

Have a blessed 2017, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.