Ah, Fibro! How I loathe you!

Sometimes I just have to shake my head. Let me start with the fact that I knew when I went to bed that it was going to be a tough night. I had the shoulders starting to tweak and tighten up, then my neck decided that the shoulders shouldn't do this alone. **sigh**

Anyway, my family and I have been watching the Star Trek TNG series and we got to the one with some sort of bug that invades the person and takes over that person's personality. So, somehow this manages to get into my dream state. Let's see...the dream incorporated someones pregnancy, a rescued pit bull puppy that was abused; some basketball player and his family; a singer who is famous, but I have no idea who she was; a stiff back; a movie marquis and a clogged pore that when you squeeze it a blue worm came out of it. Yay. At any rate, last night was a little restless for me.

I didn't have a really good nights sleep. I didn't toss and turn because my back was so stiff, my hips hurt and my right arm and shoulder was hurting. When I woke, I couldn't move....so much for Church this morning. I had to have my husband and daughter help me to turn over so that he could put some icy hot on my back. It took Icy Hot, a heating pad and a pain pill to get me from the bedroom to the living room. I say this because sometimes that's what this blasted disease does to me. Not always to that extreme, usually it is less extreme but nonetheless painful. Mine has a habit of manifesting in my shoulders or my hips, sometimes my knees. There are times that I can function with some small sort of difficulty, other times its useless in my mind to even get out of bed. I never know when it will happen or to what degree the pain or stiffness will present. I just know that day after day I have to move, even a little bit or it gets worse.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I was not having any symptoms of the disease that has decided to come and live with me. Personally, this house guest has totally worn out its welcome, but it has settled in like a bad smell that you can't get rid of. Not that this smells, of course, but it's like something....uhm...well, you get the picture. Anyway, I have pretty much been pain free with an occasional tweak here and there. This week, however, has been unusually bad. Maybe because we have our oldest cat who is not doing well and on the heels of just losing my Australian Shepherd, this is getting to me. Stress, it seems, is the biggest factor on how the fibro deals with me.

For some people, fibromyalgia is triggered by a food or an activity. For me, the trigger seems to be stress. Looking back at all of the worst instances that I have had, stress has been a factor in each and every one of them. I've heard that chocolate, sweets, caffeine, dairy all trigger episodes and from what I can see, not one of them has been a factor. Bar none, each and every time there has been a stressful episode to go with the pain.

I guess I'm blogging about it today because lately this has been a balm to me. I've noticed in the last week that when I was bummed or stressed or excited or wanted to share something funny, that this was a wonderful way of getting it all out. I can't tell you how uplifting it is to know how many of you awesome folks have read about my Andrea and her history or how many of you who have been following Angel's progress in getting her home to her family. I am not sure why I haven't been blogging way before this. Regardless, it has done me wonders, takes my mind off of things that I'd rather not think of or expresses more fully things that I can't adequately express verbally. I've always done well with writing things out, like I said, I'm surprised that I haven't done this before now.

 So, now that I've run all y'all in a tight little circle, causing your eyeballs to rotate in opposite directions, I'll leave you with this. There will be days like this where I just have to vent; days like the last entry where I share a part of my life story; days where I update progress on a project and days where I'm just plain silly, but you will know that each and every entry that I make is all me. I am silly, retrospective, nostalgic, sentimental. I have up days, down days and days in between, and I hope that me putting them into writing can help you out, too. I hope when you have a down day and read my blog that it is uplifting, that it makes you laugh. When you are frustrated that you see that you are not alone. They say that God never gives you more than you can handle, I'm not quite sure that's true...I think that when you have more than you can handle, He gives you the options, abilities and people to get you through each and every situation and always, always stays by your side should you ever need Him to hold you up. Just like the Apostle Peter who took the chance to walk on water, we all have the tendency to take our eyes off of God and sink, but when we do, simply asking Him to save you will get us right back where we belong.

Have a blessed week, everyone.

Comments

  1. Lois, keep on blogging! It has many benefits. Besides the fact that someone may read something that will help them in a moment of stress, it obviously reduces yours. You're a great writer and convey your thoughts well. Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww!Thanks, Scott! I appreciate the encouragement, especially after the silliness that I wrote about Star Trek! Lol! I was sure I lost my audience over that one! Lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.