Star Trek, Star Wars, Star...huh?

OK, I have to admit it....I'm a bit of a Trekkie. I love The Next Generation, have actually attended a Trek Convention ( I know, right?), and am currently going through the first season via Netflix. If I had known that Netflix was this cool, I would have dropped my movie channels a long time ago! Lol! Anyway, Netflix is my new favorite channel because I can get my fill of Star Trek TNG, Voyager and Deep Space Nine any time I want. The original Star Trek is too hokey...the aliens look more like the monsters from Japanese movies than they do from something produced in a Hollywood studio. As for Enterprise, I have to get over Scott Bakula being the Captain of the Enterprise and not from Quantum Leap and predating William Shatner (supposedly) as Kirk. Hard to wrap my brain around the hokey from the original coming after the cool of Enterprise. Seems more like a step through a worm hole or something.

So, Chris, Andrea and I are watching through the series...we figure it will take us about three months of at least two episodes a night...and we get to Skin of Evil. I had forgotten how sad that particular episode was. That was when the goo monster killed Tasha Yar. I have to admit, yes, I got choked up at the end. Stupid girl emotions! I was watching with great interest the way that the special effects were done then. Let's see, the first season was in 1987 and this was I believe episode 25. I would have thought that with the Star Wars Trilogy already on its way to special effects stardom that we would see less uhm....OST in the new one. The goo monster reminded me of some of the things that OST (Old Star Trek) had. I mean, does anyone remember "The Trouble with Tribbles"? Do you remember what the Tribbles looked like? For that matter, does anyone remember what the Klingon looked like? I do....he certainly didn't look a thing like Lt Worf. Apparently the Klingons were green at one point as well...that one I don't remember, but it seems to have been addressed by Worf on DS9.

Moving right along. The hokey seems to have been part and parcel of the first season of TNG, maybe because they were just getting their footing or maybe because they were trying to repeat the success that OTS had in syndication, I don't know, but the hokey factor was definitely there. Symbiosis showed its 80's -ish-ness in the haircuts and makeup of the two aliens who were basically drug pushers to their sister planet inhabitants and on Endo when Will was sentenced to death for going someplace that was forbidden, never mind that he fell into the greenhouse, wow! The 80's really reared its well poufed head. I am thinking that I'm pretty glad that we're out of the big hair and glitter decade.

Oh, and did anyone notice that there seemed to be a spark of emotions from Data in Skin of Evil? I did, that's what sparked the lump in my throat...thanks, Lt. Commander Data. There's nothing like the face of an innocent who is unsure what to feel at a moment when intense emotions are exploding around them. Gets me every time.

OK, I'm off of my hokey soap box, but that's only because I haven't watched any more episodes for tonight. As for Star Wars, meh....its alright, but it ain't got nothing on Captain Jean Luc Picard! =o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.