Another piece of fiction from a fictional writer....

Just for fun and to distract me from the fibro pains that are bugging the living tar out of me at the moment, I thought I would post this excerpt of a piece (with her permission, of course) from a writer who is struggling with the writing part. Enjoy



Changing and heading to my plant table and my garden gloves, I almost tripped on the same pine cone that caused all of the doctor visits in the first place. Really, one would think that I would keep up better with the pine cones after the last episode, so I detoured to the garage and my lawn rake. After an hour or so, the lawn was devoid of leaves, pine needles and those evil little pine cones so I decided that it was time for a glass of tea, perhaps a glance at the paper. Heading back into the house, I noticed that I had not picked the mail up off of the entry floor, so I picked that up and put it on the desk with the intent of looking through it. Reaching for my reading glasses, I found that they were not in their usual place; either I had neglected to replace them when I was done, or my husband had moved them for some reason. That’s it, he must have moved them.

Looking for my cell phone I figured that I would see if he had seen them and if he would mind picking up some more tea bags on the way home from work. When I opened my phone I saw that I had a message from my daughter about a birthday party for my three year old granddaughter, so I went to the spare room where I kept my card making supplies and selected the papers and accessories that I needed to make her a cute birthday card. On the way back to the kitchen table I noticed that my garden gloves were on the counter and wondered how they got there. Picking them up to put them in their proper place, I found my ice tea that I probably put down because my husband had texted me about going to a dinner that night. Checking the calendar to make sure that there were no activities for either of us, I realized that I didn’t know where I had put my reading glasses, and looky there, he must have gotten the mail before he left.

 Looking around to find my glasses and making a mental note to ask him if he had seen them, I spotted the glass of iced tea that I had made and now was making a water mark on the desk. Looking for something to wipe the condensation up with, I found my glasses which I promptly put on the top of my head for safe keeping, and wondered what on earth I had picked up the dishtowel for. By that time, my phone was making noise again, no doubt my son about the vacation that he was planning on taking the following week and would I check on the apartment from time to time; and me not knowing where on earth that epiphany had come from. Looking at my phone I saw that it was my husband asking me to call him. When he picked up after the second ring, he asked if I had received his text. I asked him what text and where did he put my reading glasses. When he finally convinced me that he hadn’t moved my glasses he had forgotten what on earth he had wanted me to call him for. I mentioned, laughingly that he was getting old and told him that I would see him after work, and oh, would he pick up tea bags on the way.
Looking at the fridge I saw the post it that reminded me that my son was leaving on vacation tomorrow; I would need to call him about checking up on his apartment from time to time while he was gone.

Utterly exhausted from my morning and in desperate need of something cool to drink, I got up, got myself a glass of iced tea from the fridge and set down at the table wondering why I had my card making stuff there. Man, I had a headache, and as I rubbed my forehead I felt the plastic of my eyeglass frames on the top of my head. This was turning out to be a long day, and I needed a nap, but first I needed to put my garden gloves away.


When my husband came home from work that night, he found me in my paint-spattered, torn blue jeans and a t-shirt that I wear when I work out in the yard. It had been a day from wherever and I had become totally over the fact that I still couldn’t remember where I had put my reading glasses. I know that I had found them at least once when I returned home, but with all of the texting, phone calls and other distractions that were going on, I set them down and couldn’t for the life of me figure out where. After stewing about the loss of those stupid things, again, I decided to take my mind off of them, do some yard work and maybe I might remember where I’d put them. Yeah, no such luck. After two hours of puttering and another half hour of scouring the house, I still had no clue where they were, so I found the tallest glass that I had, put some ice in it and poured myself some sweet tea and plopped in my lazy-boy. That’s where my husband found me when he walked through the door. Inquiring why I wasn’t dressed for dinner, I couldn’t help but look at him like he had a third eye. What on earth was he talking about? Then it hit me, we were supposed to be going to a dinner party for one of his clients. Peachy. Now I get to remember all of those people that I don’t remember. Oh, well, I guess I have to do what I have to do, so I put my tea in the refrigerator and headed for the shower. Once in and wet, it was time for me to wash my hair and what do you think was there? Actually, it was my ball cap that I sometimes wear outside, I had forgotten to take it off, so now not only was it soaking wet, but I had to figure out where to put it until I was finished with my shower. As I was shaking it out, my reading glasses plopped in the tub. Shaking my head, I reached down to get them and dropped the shampoo which promptly slid behind me. Turning around, my behind, which seemed to be getting bigger with age, hit the soap dish, knocking the soap on the tub floor. As I stepped back to actually avoid falling on my ample behind, I stepped up on the back slope of the tub which sent me forward and down on my knees which were surely now bruised. Guess its going to be a three-quarter length dress or pant outfit for the dinner for me. My husband, hearing all the ruckus in the bathroom came running in to make sure I was OK. After reassuring him that I was indeed still among the living, he left and I sat down in the tub to finish my shower. No need to get in a war that I couldn’t win today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.