Fun in the sun..and the dust and the sagebrush....not!

Don't get me wrong, the desert is a beautiful place. No where on earth are there so many things going on in so much dust and sagebrush and tumbleweeds as there are in the desert. I know, I not only grew up in one (Reno), but I lived in one (Tucson). I spent a day and a half in that dusty, dry place this week in preparation for my trip to Japan. I wished I could have stayed longer, but flights the way they are and babies as unpredictable as they are, it just wasn't a good idea. Besides, I need to get my last hep B shot before I go.

I've got to tell you, though, where my parents live, in the middle of No-where Arizona, I don't think that I've seen clearer night skies than I do there. Ever. You go outside at night and there are no city lights to disrupt the glorious velvet background with shimmering, pulsating stars all around...and an occasional bat or owl tossed in the mix. Add in a couple of coyotes howling, a dog or two barking and it makes for some interesting ambiance. I swear, that's probably the only real thing that I love about where they live. I could stay out there all night and look at the stars there.

When Draco passed away in November, Andrea coped as well as she could with his death. I mean, we had this boy since he was nine weeks old...she and he grew up together, and he tried to shove his toys up her behind and run at what was for him a slow jog while she yelled that we needed to get rid of him and that she'd call 911 on his butt. Funny thing is, one day she did! But that's another story for another time. =o) Anyway, within a few days she saw Venus appearing and determined within herself that this was Draco showing up to watch over her. I kind of shrugged it off, justifying the fact that he was named after the constellation Draco. Then when Tazmo passed away and Mercury came into view, she pronounced that Tazmo had joined Draco and that they were playing together. I was happy that she was able to deal with their deaths in a way that made sense to her and just pulled on my heartstrings. It never ceases to amaze me the child-like mind that God has blessed her with.

So, as we were heading out to Mom and Dad's house from the airport, I saw those two stars again and teared up. They did show up roughly around the time that our pets passed from this life and I couldn't help but wonder if maybe God allowed us this opportunity to find comfort somehow in these two shimmering planets. I do truly miss having them around, even if Draco did bark at leaves and invisible people; and Tazmo laid around all day and batted at Draco when he was within paws reach. Angel was a balm for the pain that we felt over them being gone, but I think that soon we will have to have another dog in the mix here. I know what you're thinking, what about the cats? So, what about them? They didn't lose much sleep over Angel's presence here, although they out sized and outweighed her, not to mention out-manned and out gunned her. She is a smart dog, she knew when she was the underdog and pretty much, with one small exception, kept to herself.
No, I figure that we'll start out with a pup again so that it can learn what it can and can't do with these furry control freaks that I really love to pieces, and learn how to take control of situations without eating one of them and coughing up the remaining fur-balls. **sigh** Somehow I think that I'm just a little tired, because this all makes sense and is even slightly amusing! Lol!

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you that little tidbit about the stars. All I know is that Andrea is doing so much better than Chris or I are doing with this and I think it's because she has something to focus on and smile about even if its only Venus and Mercury in the March night sky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.