Seriously? Arabic?

This morning as I began my morning ritual of coffee and computer, I felt as if something was off a bit, but it certainly wasn't me. Aside from the fact that I'm here in Japan still, something just didn't work right, but I still didn't catch what it was.

The kids had a couple of errands to do this morning and Khloe needed to stay with me, which is fine. Why not leave Devynn with me as well was my question and of course, this is a good idea. Besides, she's pretty easy to deal with at this point, its the kitten and Khloe that you have to watch out for. Anyway, as I'm trying to figure out what to give to Khloe for breakfast, fixing my coffee, booting my computer and deciding on a DVD to let her watch until I was ready for her, Devynn is fussing. As I turn around to see what is wrong, and maybe to replace the plug that was spit out, I see Khloe standing in front of the swing, the kitten is on the ottoman supervising, and all of a sudden I see Devynn's binky go flying through the air. Peachy, its going to be one of those mornings.

Finding some apple-something-or-another for Khloe to munch on, I pop those into the bowl, give her some water and plop her in front of the Veggie Tales that I just put on. Larry the Cucumber catches her attention at least long enough for me to get rid of the Weather Channel on my desktop and hit the Google Chrome shortcut to start the browser. Now, for my coffee. Just as I'm hitting the start button on the coffee maker, again Devynn is fussing and again I turn to see Khloe and her partner in crime tossing the binky across the room, except this time the kitten is after it. That won't do. I scoop up the kitten with my foot, move him about two feet sideways and pick up the binky to clean it off and replace in Devynn's mouth. **sigh** Now, what was I doing? Oh, yeah, booting up the browser. As I hit the button that says that something might not be saved (sheesh, whatever), my browser comes up and I realize that none of it is in English....heck, it's not even a language that I'm even slightly familiar with...it looks like web dings, but it isn't. At this point, I believe that I've found the ancient language of Sanskrit!

So, after feeding Khloe, feeding Devynn and then myself, I sit myself in the chair that I've claimed for myself here and try to figure out why my translation program isn't working. After I go through everything that I can think of, I get frustrated enough to just say forget it, and uninstall it. Who knew that you can't get Google Chrome to reload in English here? Not once, not twice, but three times I installed, uninstalled and installed again that stupid browser. Each and every time it installed in Japanese. What gives?? I tried the encoding option...I tried my translator, heck, I even on the last try made sure that the download said "English". Good grief! Then, when I finally got the install to work, it said that I couldn't finish the install because of a 7z file. What the heck is a 7z file?? Its amazing what you learn when you're ready to toss the computer over the balcony.

OK, so, I need to find some way to open a 7z file, which I find out is a type of zipped file. I find a highly recommended download to use, then find, much to my increasing frustration that the download that I'm trying to install is for another operating system. Great. Back to square one. Finally, after another two hours of searching, I find another download, in English, for my operating system and download it. As the download is working, I went in to uninstall the program that I installed for the 7z file. Just as I go to click the button to install, the flying furry fury comes crawling up my leg so that he can chew on my hand for a bit before jumping down and barrelling down the hall. Grumbling about the kitten, I hit uninstall and it gives me the prompt, "are you sure you want to uninstall"? Well, duh! Yeah....Aw, geez! NOOOOO!

You guessed it, I uninstalled something I didn't want to. In fact, I uninstalled something that I shouldn't have...my ATI Raedon Display Driver. Peachy. Now what? So, off I go to find the download for that. I find one, its an updated version, so I download. The problem is that I have had little coffee at this point, a fussy baby because her pacifier keeps getting taken away by her big sister who then either tosses it across the room or gives it to the kitten to play with, and the big sister, who when she isn't taking the binky away is coming over and unplugging my power source. On purpose. Gleefully, even when her hands are flicked and she's told no. So, do I pay attention to the requirements for the download? Of course not, and I spend the next hour and a half trying to figure out why it won't go. Once I figure it out, it loads easily and lo and behold! I'm actually putting in an updated version! Woo Hoo! However, I still can't get Chrome to start.

Chrome wasn't this difficult in the States to download and start, for crying out loud....so, I uninstall and try again. This time, I realize that the download was for Windows 2000, not XP. I could have sworn that it said XP. Looking, looking. Finally, XP. Clicky the button...download starts and I hold my breath. Finally , the download is complete and I push finish. Nothing. Not even a how-do-you-do. Search now for the exe file.
Another half hour and I have the exe. file and its whirring away.

Its now three p.m. and I started this project at 830 this morning. I'm beat. I'm frustrated, but on the upside, both girls are asleep; mom and dad are home and mama is sleeping (something she desperately needs) and dad's playing video games with his brother at home in Texas (gotta love PlayStation and the Internet). Me, I'm ready for my second cup of coffee and facebook. Hopefully when I get ready to do my routine tomorrow morning the text won't be in Russian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.