Sometimes, staying busy is the best medicine.

Ever since I got off of the plane in Okinawa I have had allergies like crazy. Zyrtec has become my best friend lately, sorry Sandy and Christopher, but you guys seriously cannot clear my sinuses no matter how hard you try. As it is, Zyrtec is having its issues clearing this up. The allergies when I got to Japan took a wickedly weird turn for me....they made me look like a wino. Peachy.

I first noticed that my nose was being attacked when it felt as if my nose was going to explode right off of my face, literally. I could physically feel my nose getting bigger. I could finally say that I knew how Pinocchio felt when he told a lie, except all I was doing was feeding my granddaughter powdered donuts. I took a look in the mirror and behold, Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer stared back at me....well, at least his nose did. Praise God there was Zyrtec in my purse. Thirty minutes later, again I could physically feel my nose changing and low and behold! my nose was its normal shade and shape again. Everyday that I was there, I took a Zyrtec and when I didn't, I could feel it. I figured that with the stress of trying to keep my allergies at bay that I would have more issues with the fibro, but surprisingly enough, I had very few instances where it flared up.

When I went to Arizona, well, this is familiar territory for me since this is the birthplace of these ridiculous allergies of mine. I had a bottle of Zyrtec with me that was heavily relied on even before I got in their airspace. I was taking zero chances that I would be sneezing my face off.  Didn't work. I got off the plane and my sinuses became the Sahara Desert, nosebleeds and all. Then my ear got into the act. Then the fibro. More than once I had a flare up of the fibro...the earache continued for almost a week and the bone dry sinuses were there from touchdown to drive out.

Well, today, for the fourth or fifth day in a row my ear is hurting like a mother bear and I can't hear out of it. Makes me want to do the old fashioned cure of pouring urine in it. Thought about it, but the aesthetics of it are making me go...ewww. Pee in my ear...yeah, not happening. Kind of like pouring wax in your ear, don't see that happening, either. Add in to that probably one of the worst flare ups that I've had in quite a while and I'm one beat puppy. Mobility is not on the option list today, so I figured that I would keep my mind busy by keeping me busy. Started with church, which, by the way was way awesome. Oh, and I had to smile and give myself a high five and a shout out to my dad in the parking lot of church. The one space that was fairly close to the building today was in the back of the side lot with other cars pretty close, and me in the Beast. Sooooo, I pull up and back that old Beast right in between the lines, equal space on both sides. YES! I wanted to take a picture of it, but I was already late. Trust me, it was a thing of beauty.

Sorry, that was my version of a squirrel bunny trail....Anyway, when I got home, I made another thing for Beth (don't worry, it will all go in one box), tried to kill the bees that are trying to make themselves at home under my window outside, watered my flowers, made dinner and fixed my dsl modem so that it works hopefully for the next two days when it will unceremoniously be booted out the door for the fiber optics that will be replacing it.. and the fibro is probably as bad as it has been in a while still. Its funny how much pain I'm able to ignore now, I never was very good at pain. Not a majorly low tolerance, but low enough to whine when I hurt. Now, not so much. I try to take as much as I can before I medicate the pain away, and sometimes that means that I'm walking slower or maybe hitching a ride on a scooter, which of course Andrea has a love hate reaction to. She gets a kick out of me when I put it in reverse, but when I go forward and I want to get out of where ever I am fairly quickly, that means she has to at least walk very fast, sometimes run. I have no mercy there. If it were up to her, a snail would beat her in a foot race. If she went any slower, she would be going in reverse. She hates fast. Nothing she does is fast unless it includes ice cream or soda. No savoring there.

I guess that I'm learning as I go along how to manage the pain. Perhaps that's where my Mommy-mode comes in. I am incredibly capable of ignoring things that annoy me, and it looks as if pain has made it to the playing field. If it annoys, its ignored. Half of my self stays on alert, of course, just in case of emergency, but as I've told my kids before, unless its on fire or someones cut something off or dying....don't bug me. Mommy-mode is a life saver....it conserves sanity, sort of. I say sort of because sometimes when I get there I miss stuff, like key words. I went into Mommy-mode a few times at work and managed to embarrass myself pretty good, and there have been times that I have managed to turn the embarrassing situation into a funny situation, but that was with quick thinking on my feet. Kind of like the Constable that came in to make a to-go order, which I didn't quite hear because he kind of interrupted another customer. I instantly went into Mommy-mode and told him that we were out of doughnuts. Then I went deep red. Praise God he had a super sense of humor because that could have gone very badly for me. In the back of my mind I was hoping that our conversation wouldn't go to what kind of vehicle are you driving. You gotta love Mommy-mode, but it must only be used by professionals.

So, its that time of night when I am throwing in the white flag, the towel or whatever other saying you want to use. This flare up has beat me up and its time to give up. I'm tired. I hurt and there was a 5.4 mag earthquake in Okinawa, so the flare up is now worse because of worry. Time to give my worries to the One who can deal with them because I can't. Not tonight. I'm going to rest on the knowledge that if the flare up continues tomorrow that I will have the oomph to deal with it again. If it chooses to leave me alone, then even better. Tomorrow is a family day and I'm looking forward to it, hopefully without the extra baggage of Fibromyalgia.

Have an awesome and blessed week, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.