Some things just can't be seen

I came across an article that disturbed me greatly today. It was regarding one of our service men who was medically retired because of TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), has a service dog to assist him and was horribly treated by people who are employed to be Customer Service Representatives.

This man, who is the founder of Paws and Stripes, a foundation that pairs service animals with injured military veterans found himself in the middle of a major mess in Washington, Dulles airport. I will refrain from using the airline's name, it is evident in the article (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dogheirs.com%2Felleng%2Fposts%2F1558-disabled-vet-asks-for-public-support-says-airline-workers-kicked-his-service-dog&h=-AQGwUU2r), but the fact that this is more common than one imagines, not just in this instance, but in everyday life is heart wrenching. If you choose to read the article and view the accompanying video, be aware that it is lengthy.

As someone with a "disability", i.e., fibromyalgia, in a very small way, I can relate. There are times that I have a very difficult time walking because the nerves in my legs and feet are on fire. Let me give you a visual here. Say your leg has gone to sleep and now you are experiencing the "pins and needles" as the nerves "wake up". Multiply that by 100 and add in the fact that it doesn't go away within a few minutes; that is what this basically feels like. Sometimes its more, sometimes its less, but it is nonetheless painful. However, I do have to do some things that are necessary for my day to day needs, like food shopping or having to get my prescriptions. Its days like these that I will snag an electric cart and get my business done. Do I enjoy this, not on a bet, but it helps immensely. That said, I still get looks as I get on one of the carts as if to say, "why are you taking that when someone who can't walk could use it?"...if I could on that day, believe me, I would.

I have a dear friend who has CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) who has a service dog in training and has come across this kind of discrimination. She was not allowed to bring her Service Dog in Training into the bank even though she was clearly identified with the proper vest. It ought not be so, folks! Just because you can not see the disability doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. If an animal is present with a vest that says "Service Dog/Animal" or "Service Dog/Animal in Training", that means that this is something to take notice of. It is very possible that the person has a brain injury that when the person is stressed could have real medical issues, or in my friend's case gets so overwhelmingly tired that it is incredibly difficult to function...that is why the dog is there, to calm and protect, to assist where and when needed. The dog isn't there just because they don't like leaving it at home, it's there doing what it was trained to do....it's job.


I guess pretty much after I read the article regarding Mr. Stanek that I became righteously angry. I am not suggesting that the disabled have special rights, I am asking for consideration and cooperation, giving assistance where assistance is needed and respecting the fact that sometimes this person went the extra mile to make sure that you could have your freedom and was injured in the process, like Mr. Stanek.

Then there are those who have epilepsy, autism and other disabilities that are unseen. Should they be dismissed or mistreated because their disability cannot be seen? They didn't ask for this, none of us did, but have it we do and as such, we just ask for you to stop and listen and maybe help if you can. In the case of Mr. Stanek, the Customer Service Representatives should have done their jobs and taken care of someone who actually helps put food on their tables, their customer. You don't have to go the extra mile if you don't want to, pass it on to your supervisor, but don't go out of your way to be rude or disrespectful of people who contribute to your paycheck. There are a lot of unemployed people out there who would love to have your job if you don't like it. Just remember that.

In closing this rant, and that is exactly what it is, I make zero apologies about that, I am asking that if you see someone with a service animal who may need help, see what you can do to assist. It may be as little as helping them find an empty seat so that they can rest or answering a question that they are unclear about without worrying whether someone will think or ask if they're retarded (such was the case for Mr. Stanek). In the words of my daughter with Down Syndrome, "I not retarded, you are".

**Stepping off of my soapbox........for now.**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.