This is wwwaaayyy off from my normal reading genre....

But. Yeah, I said butt, no, I mean but. I just finished reading a horror novel. Lets just get past this part, I hate horror novels almost as much as I hate snakes. To top this off, this one was about that old cliche, zombies. But, this one had enough humor in it, and the fact that at least once I was part of the inspiration of a small (a very small) portion of the novel, spurred me on to reading it...in less than 24 hours. Now, I won't be sleeping for a week, thank you very much D. Nathan Hilliard.

I met Nate when I was waiting tables just recently. I came to find out later on as I would serve up his favorite dessert, a hot fudge sundae, that his wife had cared for Draco at least a couple of times while he was still with us. I re-met his wonderful wife and met his awesome kids during my tenure at the restaurant and realized that the adults, at least, had a wicked sense of humor. I like that about them! Lol! No doubt, when the kids are older (and I have seen some hints that this is going to be true), that they will have just as wicked a sense of humor about them if not better when they've had the chance to hone it.

Anyway, back to the book. The name of the book is Dead Stop, and its available for the Kindle, Kindle cloud, paperback and e-books that are compatible with that format via Amazon.  I had gotten the heads up from his wife about the book and instantly went over there and loaded  it up on my Cloud...and read it cover to cover. The characters are engaging and are incredibly likable, and to top it off with the fact that it is based on a small (fictitious) town in Texas makes it connect more with me...that and the fact that two of the main characters are waitresses, reasonable facsimiles of perhaps one or two or a combination of many that I could probably put a face (or two or three) to doesn't hurt, either.  Like I said, even though my input was very small and in only a small part of the novel, I feel as if I am a part of it. Lol!

OK, back onto the proper trail here...the novel is about zombies, that's all I'm giving you, because it really is a good read and there are so many variables in there that just when you think that you're going to relax and everything is sunshine and roses again you get zapped by something else. Oh, and the humor is very well placed throughout the story....pretty much so that you can let your guard down just to be jolted back to unreality, as it were.

Then there's the ending....one that makes you go, "grrrrr", but in a good way. That's because at this point you've relaxed and there's now a twist that you didn't see coming. Just watch for it..it makes cliffhangers on our favorite suspense shows look like a fifth grader wrote them. Trust me, it really annoyed me that I didn't see it coming, but with more twists and turns than a roller coaster, it really did take me by surprise. The only thing that would have been calculated was if....wait, I won't give you my thought here, you've got to read this yourself!

A good novel, to be sure. Mr. Hilliard has done a very good job on his previous novels, but he has definitely outdone himself on this one. As I said before, Nate, well done, Mr. Hilliard! Well done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.