Tackling the almighty tamale today....

I'm hoping that there are plenty of Tums available for the explosive aftermath! LOL! Seriously.....or not......

Yes, I'm going to take on the daunting task of making tamales for the first time in my life. At least if I am successful then there is hope for anything turtle that I make in the future. You see, anything that is "turtle" has it out for me. Usually its the caramel that I can never get right, whether its the amount or the type, I always fall short somehow. However, one day, I will prevail.

Now, tamales, well, they seem to be straight forward, but so does turtle cheesecake, until you go to transfer it to a cake plate and have the entire bottom ooze all over everything. The top of it tasted good, the bottom was a soggy, caramel mess. **sigh** Sad to say that I gave it a rather unceremonious burial in the garbage can and caved to a cake mix for a dessert that I was taking to the auction last night. I hate cake mixes, they're no brainers, no challenge, basically there's no imagination in them....add eggs, water, oil and mix it up. They're basically pretty hard to mess up. With a recipe there's always a chance for utter and complete failure and in that is the challenge...make it pretty like the picture. Sad to say mine don't always look like the pictures, but for the most part they are oh, so good, even if I do say so myself.

Back to the tamales. I knew it was going to be a challenge when I couldn't find the chilies. The one that was called for in the recipe was California Chilies....try finding those without knowing what the heck you were looking for. I finally figured out that they were pasilla and they are vastly different from New Mexico chilies, which will burn the seat out of your pants. Glad I found what I was looking for instead of what I was thinking about doing....the family may not have survived the nuclear fallout from that substitution.

So, now that I have started, this is going to be an interesting undertaking...one that I will be putting down in type off and on during the day. Hopefully at the end you will have a picture of a completed and yummy product!

Well, the experiment has concluded and with the small exception of probably not enough seasoning (which is really a good thing because my hubby's stomach doesn't tolerate spicy well), they turned out pretty darned good! Yeah, I know, the picture is blurry, but doggone! Those were pretty tasty! I suppose with practice they will be really good, but I'm also afraid that this is now a heavy favorite which means that they will be made......often!

Well, that's my therapy away from the news of the day. The news from Friday is still heavy on my heart, and my thoughts and prayers are with the friends and families of Newtown, CT.

Please continue to pray for these affected by this senseless act of violence.

Peace be with you. Maranatha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.