T'was the night before Christmas

...and all through the house; not a creature was stirring, they were watching a mouse.
The stockings that were hung by the chimney with care, were now shredded messes because the mouse was first there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds, dreaming of kittens chasing balls of thread.
Papa was a snoring and I was awake, hoping to sleep soon for tomorrow I bake.

When all of a sudden there arose such a clatter, I jumped from the bed to see what was the matter! Away to the living room I ran like a flash, hoping the Christmas tree was not totally trashed.

Embers from the fireplace threw such a glow, I didn't need lights to see this side show.When what to my wondering eyes did appear but eight sets of eyes and a pup cowering in fear.

One tiny mouse that once was so quick, was now pinned by the paw of our big old girl, Snick. The others surrounded her ready to pounce should the little one escape, they were ready to trounce.

No,Yoda and Dorrie! Geez, Snickers and Widget! Nice move, Gir and Squirt. Uno, Harpo, go get it!

To the top of the tree, across the room to the hall, dash away, dash away cats one and all. As I looked 'cross the room at the cowering pup, I just had to wonder how she got tangled up.

Lights on her tail, tinsel lay cross her nose, and ornaments were scattered right at her toes. Hanging her head in what had to be shame, I couldn't but help to speak softly her name.

Oh, Bailey, sweet Bailey, its OK, my dear. The cats are mouse crazy, you mustn't fear. As for this mess, from what I see here, I can imagine the cats have been planning all year.

As I untangled Bailey and righted the tree, three cats came triumphant, tails high, filled with glee. Like three kings from the east they brought me their treasure; a headless mouse, and I swear, that's all I remember.

The very next day as I opened my eyes, the nurse said something about a surprise. As close as I figure, no reason to doubt;
I screamed "no more mice!,"  before I blacked out.

Just a little cat humor to brighten your holiday! Merry Christmas, from my zoo to yours! *<=o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.