Trust me....alarmist is not my normal state of being...

..but I think that this bears stating. If you don't know how to cook without the microwave, then you'd better learn.

Seriously, folks. Have you looked at the price of gas lately? How about the cost of a pound of regular hamburger or chicken? Meat is climbing steadily, a head of lettuce is small and over a dollar a head, potatoes are expensive. Gas has hit over the 3.50 mark again and we are well on our way to possible 5.00 a gallon by summer. Think that doesn't really mean a lot? Think again. It takes fuel to get the produce to market. It takes fuel to get the cattle, fowl, whatever you eat meat-wise to the slaughter houses and on your table. The price of gas is going to affect everything we do. The time to prepare is now.

I have always been a fan of cooking from scratch, this year I've stepped it up exponentially with the concession stand. I have thoroughly enjoyed bringing fresh, home-cooked from scratch desserts to the folks at the auction. My reward is having everyone enjoy the fruit of my knowledge and hands, it has been a true blessing.

This year I plan on making changes in how I do a lot of things. First off, I'm going to plant a raised garden that will enable me to make more fresh, pesticide free food. I will be getting heritage seeds to cut back on the genetically modified seeds, or hybrids that are out there so that I know that I can continue with the seeds of the original plants. I plan on purchasing a dehydrator and learning how to dry foods for storage. I am going to relearn how to can and preserve.

So, why am I going to do all of this? Quite honestly, the gas prices now startle me; the political air bothers me, and the fact that food prices are rising more and more each day really bothers me. I want to be able to take care of my family's nutritional needs without worrying about what is in the food that I purchase from the grocery store. I want to make sure that they are getting what they need when they need it, and I worry about the way that our Country is moving. We have a crisis heading our way and we can't ignore it. Folks are not thinking like they used to...a lot of them just don't care anymore. They want something for nothing and if its yours and not theirs but they want it, they will take it, by whatever means necessary.

 Never in my life have I been so apprehensive about being out and about as I am now. I look over my shoulder constantly, and I don't like it. I want to be able to enjoy the life that God gave to me, enjoy the family and friends that He has put in my life, and as a general rule, I do. I praise God every morning that He has brought me to this new day, the new mercies and the wonderful land into which I was born, with the family and friends that He has blessed me with.

OK, another rant, I know, but seriously stuff bothers me and when it bothers me, I have learned to sit up and take notice as to why. This time, I didn't like what I saw and its time to see what I can do to fix what I can.

So, this year there will be more changes. More natural foods. More time with family and friends. More of the gifts that God has placed within me to bless others.

Blessings, everyone and if you can, start to learn basic skills. In this age, it may be the best thing that you've ever learned.

Love to you all. Have a blessed week!

Comments

  1. Completely agree!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with you dear sister. The end times fast approach and although we place our faith in God, He also expects us to be prudent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.