A new chapter...no pun intended.

Yes, I have started a new chapter. That is, my book Diary of a Crazy Cat Lady has.

I had been playing around with the marketing for both of my books since they hit the market. Since I am self-published, of course the marketing is on me. I've put The Father's Footsteps in our local library; I did a freebie for Cat Lady on the 13th of January in honor of what would have been my Nanny's 101st birthday and gave away close to 200 books worldwide. I have ordered copies of both books and have given most of them away, sold some of them.

I have promoted both books on www.BookDaily.com and www.Rankmybook.com; had word of mouth advertising; gotten my books available online through Barnes and Noble, The Tattered Cover and just about any independent bookstore that does online transactions. Not to mention that these books are available to the buyers for these bookstores if they desire to put them on the shelves. And to the a comment that someone close to me made about me buying my ISBN, yeah, no. I did not go through a vanity press.

I look at it this way. If I had the money to throw away, I'd have an agent who would pitch it to the big Publishing Houses: Random House; Tyndale Press, yadda, yadda. I'd have an editor who was beating me over the head and shoulders to make the books p.c. Again, not happening. I want to write what I want to write. I earned that ISBN, and I continue to earn it every time I work on the marketing, however small an effort that might be. Every book that I self-publish will be something that involved hard work; from the storyline to the writing to the formatting to the cover art to the marketing. But even in all of that, I really didn't do it by my own power. I have to give the glory to God because without Him, I wouldn't have the gift to put two words together in a coherent sentence. So there's that.

Anyway, I got off on a bunny trail, sorry. The next chapter.

Diary of a Crazy Cat Lady is a bit of a surprise for me. I wrote it knowing it was a niche book. I knew there was a select audience that would enjoy it, and even figured a few fringe dog people might enjoy it. I didn't expect it to pass up my bigger book, I really didn't. But pass it it has and I'm on track to make it soar!

As of yesterday, or actually, Sunday night, I have signed a narrator to do the audio version of Diary of a Crazy Cat Lady. Her achievements are impressive, her voice more so. I think with her comedic timing and the tone of her voice that 'Eloise' will come to life and jump off the pages to (dare I say it??) an audio book best seller list! Am I reaching for the moon? You betcha, because as I have said in times past...Reach for the moon. If you miss, you might land among the stars! I don't know who said that first, but its a good motto to have. (If anyone knows who is attributed to that quote, please let me know).

So, there you have it. I'm venturing into the land of the spoken word. I'm giddy at the prospect that my book will reach ears as well as eyes and I am very grateful and humbled at the favor God has shown me. I look forward to seeing just what He has in store for this book that is for me a labor of love to my Nanny, my little brother and parents, my husband, children and grandchildren.

Look for it to hit the market on April 14th.

Have a great week, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.