Spiritually malnourished

I have to admit, that sometimes I don't read my Bible enough. Don't get me wrong, I read at least a passage or two every day, along with a devotional, but there are times when I feel like I'm spiritually malnourished, and I need a feast.

This morning, well, actually before I went to bed last night, I decided that instead of watching the nonsense on the t.v.s in the gym, or listening to my favorite Christian Radio Station (hello, KSBJ!! You guys rock!), that I was going to listen to the Bible on audio. I hadn't a clue what book I was going to listen to, or what message I wanted to receive. When I got there, I plugged in, found an audio in a version that I liked, and turned it on to Romans 1.

Now, I don't know about you, but the Roman's Road is a wonderful place for anyone seeking God to start, and Paul is no slouch in giving the Gospel. What got me, is that I had forgotten some stuff along life's way, and today was a good day to be reminded.

Specifically, I want to point out a "few" verses that I really did know about, but only remembered them in another book. Romans 1:16-32 speaks of the End Times, and wow, did that get my attention. Not because I didn't know these things, but having the Word spoken to me, every nuance of that passage hammered home how close we really are to the time when we will be with our Lord, Jesus.

Romans 1:16-32 says:

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, [m]covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

Somebody tell me that this doesn't sound like our society right now. In 2 Timothy 3:1-9, Paul tells Timothy in his second letter that the last days will be perilous times, that man will have a form of godliness, but deny it's power. Yup, sounds a lot like what we're going through today. Don't believe me? Check this out. 

2Timothy 3:1-9

But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.

The Bible says that folks like this will succumb to their own folly...denying God, and His Salvation Gift, His omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence, and meeting the consequence for these actions. In that day, when their judgment time comes, they will ask, why? "I was a good person. I never stole anything. I never murdered anyone. I never cheated on my spouse, was good to my children, and parents. I gave back to the community. I supported nature..." the list goes on and on, and yet, yet, without the gift of Salvation, without the acknowledgement of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of their lives, it's all chaff, blown away in the wind. All of their works, all of their glorious words, worth less than nothing. How simple is it to acknowledge and accept the free gift of Salvation?

Readers, if you are seeking Truth, I maintain that all that you need to know is in the Bible. If it seems too much for you, seek out a good, Bible-teaching, Bible-preaching Church and attend. Listen to the Pastor, read the Bible, devour it. Ask questions, seek His face. Accept His gift. If you are spiritually malnourished, pick up that dusty Bible, wipe off the dust and start on the Roman's Road (Romans 1). I know you will feel yourself being filled, and you will hunger for more. 

Have a blessed week, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.