Failure and Faith

Not quite two weeks ago, I got an epic rant going. I am not quite sure exactly what started it, but part of it was about our Freshman Congresswoman who said, 'Some people did something.'

As I was ranting about it, the person I was blowing off steam to asked me a couple of questions. "How is their religion different than yours? How is where they go to worship different than where you go? How is what they believe, who they put their faith in, different than yours?"

Let's just say, the rant was abruptly stopped.
It took me this long to figure out the answers to these questions. See, the person who asked these things is on the fence, faith wise...not so much a follower of Jesus, but not exactly a dissenter. The questions threw me for a loop, and in my opinion, they shouldn't have.
The Bible says that we should study the Word of God so that we have answers to those who question our faith. I had an answer, but it was pretty lame. Don't remember what it was, but I was not happy with it, and thankfully, the subject was changed.
But I still have mulled it over, analyzed it and chided myself for not having distinct answers.

In 1 Peter 3, it says to always have an answer, or a defense, to everyone who asks the reason for the hope that you have within you. You are to answer in meekness and gentleness. Two things I most certainly did not do. As I said, after that conversation, I was bugged. Not because of the questions, but because of my response. It was certainly not meek, nor gentle, and it was severely lacking in its substance.

Today, as I was thinking about God and His faithfulness, it hit me. That's the core of the response. It's not about my denomination...it is manmade. It is not about my church...it is filled with human beings. What it's about is God, and His faithfulness toward us who are called  His Children. It's about Jesus, and those who are called by His Name.

See, we can trust in all of these things that are temporal...our denomination, our church family, our knowledge or lack thereof of Scripture, and to a point, that's okay. But, all of these have one thing in common, they are all a product of the human being.

Our knowledge of Scripture is based on our want-to in reading, studying and applying the Love Letter that God has supplied us. As a human being, we fail, time and again, in studying or even applying all that God has asked of us.

Our denomination is a result of...you guessed it, human beings. Specifically those who believed that one interpretation of Scripture is more accurate than another, or even, that Scripture needs to be added to to properly equip the Child of God.

As for the Church body, those who strive to follow Jesus' commands, and the template that was created for us, we still fall short. People tend to, for the most part, take in consideration how a certain situation would affect them, although there are gems in every Body who go full steam ahead and fill as many needs as is possible for them. However, that said, it is still faulty, because, after all, we are only human. We lack, and we fail...daily.

Now, God, He never fails. I know there are some out there who say that God had failed them miserably, but has He? There are times in this life that we will never know what God has done for us...how He has sheltered us from harm, evil, trials, and tribulations that would break us irrevocably.  He alone is faithful and true to see to completion all that He has begun. Our finite minds are so singularly focused on, well, us and ours, and this moment, that we cannot comprehend the workings of Him who works good in all things.
There are those, who in troubles, cherry-pick. They will take passages, and verses and apply them to the situations, and in doing so, they find that the results are bitter pills. They cannot swallow the words, because they don't know the whole story. They've taken things out of context.

Consider this. You walk into the breakroom where some of your co-workers are having a conversation. You hear your name and tune into the conversation, and hear something that seems to be antagonistic in nature toward you. Your anger piques, and you rush in to defend yourself, only to find out that what you heard was out of context, and really wasn't about you at all. The same holds true to Scripture...if something is read or given out of context, it does not benefit the reader or hearer, and to a point, can only serve to confuse.

Okay, so I've gotten a bit off track.

While I stuttered and stammered my way through my response, it should have been simply that God is faithful in all things. Human beings are not. God is flawless, humans are flawed, but, that considered, the Scriptures, which was indeed written by the hand of man, is flawless, inspired by the mind of God. Therefore, in answer to the question, my answer should have been that my faith, which fails me daily and in more ways than I can count, is still justified by the One who is faultless, and is faithful. The God who never varies, who never changes. My 'religion' as it's defined is that I am a follower, according to the world, of Jesus Christ. My 'relationship' is that of a Child of God, one who believes that Jesus is part of the Trinity...God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, who are indeed One. Who believes that Jesus came from Heaven to be born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, was tortured then died on a Roman cross, having taken on the sins of the entire world, was buried, rose again, and ascended to the right hand of God; and awaits the day when He is to return for those who are called by His Name. That's my relationship.
The building that they go to? It is so different. In the church building I go to, it is a conglomeration of old and young, rich and poor, man, woman, and child...all mixed together in corporate praise and worship of God.
As for who I put my faith in? I put my faith in the Risen Christ. Their faith is in a man, a prophet whose grave has the bones of said prophet, whereas the tomb where Jesus was laid is empty, as He has risen! My faith is in God, who is faithful, true to His promises.

I may not understand all that happens to me. Good, bad, ugly or not, I must have faith in God's understanding of it all. He is not bound by our version of time, He is present in all aspects of it, knowing the beginning, the middle and the end, and having that knowledge, knows, despite our putting our fingers in it and muddling it, what our end is, what is the result of situations, challenges, and prayers.

So, how is my faith different than theirs? I have hope. I have knowledge that when this life is through, that my questions will be answered, and I will see for myself His faithfulness toward me. That I have the assurance of His love, even when I am certain that I am the most unlovable creature in existence. I am certain that despite my many failures, that my faith in Jesus and what He has done for me, and my faith in knowing that God will see me through, even though sometimes it's smaller than a mustard seed, will be enough. That I know that sometimes He uses broken vessels to show His glory, His mercy, and His love...and I am thankful that He sees value in this very flawed human being. Of that, I am certain. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urgent Plea for Help

Until we walk those streets of gold together, rest in peace, dear Debi.

Jesus wept.